Tuesday, January 14, 2014

EI & OT

When Ella was a baby we started with an fantastic OT for feeding issues. That changed to other issues as she got bigger. Eventually she graduated because for an almost 3 year old she had met all of her goals that EI (early intervention) had given her as far as OT and PT were concerned. 

Fast forward 2.5 years and here we are again. Before Christmas Ella was officially evaluated for OT services again. Partly bc of her extremely low muscle tone and the fact that her pediatrician suspected that she had SPD (sensory processing disorder). Some symptoms of SPD include falling down a lot, low muscle tone, and not feeling pain. Ella has all 3 of those symptoms. 

Today we got the results of her testing. While I suspected she was behind I was not expecting to be told that she has basically regressed to a point she was at before she achieved all her goals during EI. Ella tested at the level of a 34 month old. She will basically start getting OT weekly until she meets her goals again. They will be reassessing her again in 4 months to see where she is and if her goals need changed at that point. 

Like her old OT pointed out to me it could be that she regressed at some point in the last couple of years or she could have simply not progressed once she met her goals in EI. 

Here's to hoping therapy helps turn things around for her quickly!

If you would like to learn more about SPD here is a link for you to explore. 

http://www.spdfoundation.net/about-sensory-processing-disorder.html

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad she will be getting services. OT has been great for Cooper and I hope that he will be able to continue to receive therapy for as long as he needs. Every time I think I have a handle on what I can do to help him myself, he throws me a curve ball. Ella is always on my prayer list and I will continue to pray that this new therapist will be instrumental in her meeting her goals <3

    ReplyDelete